Sad Day for My Alma Mater

I am totally floored by this. I have been watching coverage all day trying to get a grasp on this. I can’t tell you how upsetting it is to see the places that I know so well being swarmed with swat teams and gunmen. 32 people dead is unfathomable. Even though I don’t know the people involved, it is still very personal.

I spent my freshman and sophmore years living in East Ambler Johnson before moving off campus so this hits really close to home. East and West AJ were dorms where many Marching Virginians’ are housed as they are closer to the practice field. Watching video of shots being fired in front of those wonderful Hokies stone buildings leaves me speechless.

I emailed with Dave, the Marching Virginians director (who is a very good friend as well) and at least one of the students killed was a band member…this is such an awful thing.

I was watching a press conference with the Va Tech president and the Chief of Police. There seems to be a lot of questioning about access to buildings and dorms…the thing that people seem to be forgetting…this is Blacksburg! Blacksburg is one of the safest places I know. It is an idyllic, peaceful town in the middle of no where. There is no way that anyone can prepare for this type of thing. As much as we would like to think that this type of thing can be prevented, it can not.

This sort of thing does not happen in Blacksburg of all places. Not at my university. I hate that Va Tech will now forever be remembered for this tragedy.

~Stephanie

About throwingmarshmallows

I am a homeschooling mom to two sweet, energetic boys although I am probably not exactly what you would expect (definitely NOT your stereotypical homeschooler, if there is really such a thing). I support progressive political causes (yes, liberals can and do homeschool!) and I have found a spiritual home in the Unitarian Universalist Church. I have no real idea of how I want to use this blog, but will probably focus on homeschooling, things that I am learning from my boys, personal thoughts and opinions and maybe some liberal politics thrown in, who knows!
This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sad Day for My Alma Mater

1. Shelle says:

My heart is aching. Blacksburg will forever be our “hometown”. Our Hokie love and pride runs deep for all the victims and their families. My sister is a sophomore at VT. She and her friends are all in shock and dismay. It will take a very long time to heal from this tragedy.

2. floridamom says:

I thought about you when I heard this. My heart aches for all those families.
    Kathy

3. I’m right there with you Stephanie. I lived in West AJ for two years. It is so mind boggling. I’ve been glued to the news since my husband called to tell me about it at lunchtime. Sooooo sad. I was wondering if you would write about it. I can’t bring myself to do it.

4. Steph says:

I thought about you too, Steph. (((Hugs)))

5. {{{{hugs}}}

So senseless. Just unfathomable how there can be that much hate in a person. The staff, faculty, students, and alumni of VT will pull through. But I understand what you mean about being forever remembered by it. It’s not fair.

6. Jen Robinson says:

I applied to Virginia Tech when I went to college, but ended up going to Duke instead. I was just wondering today how I would feel if it was Duke, and I think you’ve captured that. My thoughts go out to you, and your bruised memories, as they do to everyone affected directly.

7. Paige says:

Hey Stephanie,

This whole blog-community thing is interesting, isn’t it? You are one of the first people I thought about when we first heard the news yesterday, and we’ve never even met in person!

I feel today much as I did years ago, when I was glued to the TV watching Columbine footage. The whole thing is just terribly sad, and pointless.

Your husband also attended VT, right? I wish you and yours well. This was a sad day for all Virginians, whether Hokie or not. ~Paige

8. Heather says:

I thought of you too yesterday since you are from Virgina and was wondering if you knew anyone affected by the shooting.

It is so senseless and it doesn’t seem right to put blame on the school or anyone/anything else. The blame lies solely on the guy who did all this.

Such a tragedy.

9. Shaun says:

I’m so sorry you were personally affected. I came to visit your blog after seeing it listed on other homeschool blogs I read and was very saddened to see another person for whom this tragedy is very close to home.