It does not make sense

It looks like someone has stolen our credit card number (we both still have our actual cards). I came home yesterday to 3 phone calls wanting to verify application information for things that we never applied for. And today we received 4 packages for things that we never bought (including a 45 pound box from Nutrisystem!) We have also identified at least 4 Amazon purchases that we never made.

The weird thing is that whoever stole our card is buying things and having them shipped to us. All the contact information given is our real information. So companies are calling us to verify missing information.The items that he/she bought with our stolen credit card are being sent to us.

What gives? This makes no sense. If you go through the trouble of stealing a credit card it seems as if you would want to keep the things that you buy with it. Right?

We canceled our card yesterday and are going through the statement with a fine tooth comb. The charges are not huge but they are numerous. It looks like this will be more of a pain then anything else. We have to return the packages that we have received and get the charges removed. We also have a lot of charges (mostly donations) set up to automatically hit our credit card each month which we will have to move to our new card.*

So that has been the excitement for the day. Could be worse!

~Stephanie

* The one silver lining is that my Starbucks card was just automatically reloaded…whew! Gotta make sure that the important things are taken care of…

About throwingmarshmallows

I am a homeschooling mom to two sweet, energetic boys although I am probably not exactly what you would expect (definitely NOT your stereotypical homeschooler, if there is really such a thing). I support progressive political causes (yes, liberals can and do homeschool!) and I have found a spiritual home in the Unitarian Universalist Church. I have no real idea of how I want to use this blog, but will probably focus on homeschooling, things that I am learning from my boys, personal thoughts and opinions and maybe some liberal politics thrown in, who knows!
This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to It does not make sense

1. Robin says:

That is so weird! Can you tell anything about the person by his/her purchases? What a disconcerting thing to happen.
    OK, the big question… Did your credit card company behave the way you wanted them to, or were they annoying? I like to know these things in advance, just in case. ;)

2. JoVE says:

And did your credit company call to query any of them? Or were they too small? I know our company will call when a large amount that looks odd happens. They phoned when my partner rented a car in England, for example, just to make sure that was legit.

Very odd that they send stuff to you though.

3. That is so strange! How weird that the stuff is being mailed to your address! I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this – it’s got to be a headache to track down all these purchases and try to get credits and refunds issued.

4. Laurie says:

This has happened to us as well. Fortunately they stole the number from a card we don’t typically use so the credit card co actually called *us* and asked if we’d just bought a $1500 home gym system. Uhhh…no…definitely the WRONG people there! If I was gonna spend that, it’d be on something like a big swing set or new tv or hmm…anything but a home gym system. ROFL

But hey, this idea of getting the Starbucks card reloaded….now that could work….would you like to know what my credit card number is??? teehee…

5. That’s a new one! Maybe someone just “messin’” with you? Or, just an idiot criminal.

I vote for idiot. ;)

6. Steph says:

Is this somebody’s idea of a prank??? I am so sorry you’re going through this mess. I hope it’s sorted out soon, and the credit card company covers the expenses.

7. It may be someone local who is hoping to snag the packages off your porch before you see them.

What a pain! Hope you get it all worked out.

8. Heather says:

That seems pretty insane. What a pain to deal with. Glad it is not worse! I lost my wallet last fall. I called the store I thought I lost it at and left my name & number. I had to get a new driver’s license and credit cards. 5 weeks later I get a call from the store that they had my wallet. When I went to pick it up it up the lady said it had been there for weeks and asked me why I hadn’t noticed it missing before that, like I was some idiot…UGH! It was nice to get it back I had a $20 bill in and a few good coupons I could still use!

9. Dana says:

This happened to us, too. We had a new computer delivered to our door. But, we were told it was delivered to OUR doorstep because of some safety precautions that are in place… although I’m not sure how that works.