Wow, wow, wow. New post on LWOS

Ok, my fellow authors over at Life Without School keep blowing me away. Missy has an incredible post on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It is all about how we don’t read much about the not so good days of homeschooling…the days that nothing gets done and everyone is getting on everyone’s nerves.

“Very recently, a mom posted her late night fears on a local homeschool list. You know those fears, the doubts that creep up on you when you can’t sleep, when your thoughts start crashing together and create new, even more awful thoughts…when you get on the computer and start reading and even more doubts creep in because everyone else seems to have all the answers and is so committed to homeschooling and so confident and so creative and so damn perfect. And, suddenly, you feel about an inch tall and woefully inadequate and your brain explodes with the knowledge that, no matter what you do, you’re going to irreversibly damage your children forever.”

I don’t know about you, but I, of course, have never felt like this. Ha! I really think that we can all relate. And yes, I do think that it is important to remember that no one really knows exactly what they are doing and we are all just kind of winging it as we go. We are all after all human and by no means saints. We have our good days and bad days. We probably just talk about our good days more because they are what gets us through and keeps us going.

I remember reading on an email list sometime that one of the traps that we can fall into (and I think this goes for blogs too) is that we read about this mom doing some really great activities and this other mom who is reading really neat books and yet another mom who has come up with a neat way of presenting math that her kids love and we sort of combine them in our minds into this one “incredible super homeschool mom” who can do everything well and never has a problem. Then we compare ourselves to her and quickly fall short. We have to remember that this “incredible super homeschool mom” does not exist and is a figment of our own imaginations.

So the next time that the homeschool panic sets in (oh, yes, you know what I am talking about, don’t you?) we need to remember to cut ourselves some slack. No one can do everything and be everything to everyone all of the time. Got that?

Luckily the good days totally make up for the not-so-good days and keep us going. And of course, it is all worth it. And I would not trade it for the world. Warts and all.
~Steph

About throwingmarshmallows

I am a homeschooling mom to two sweet, energetic boys although I am probably not exactly what you would expect (definitely NOT your stereotypical homeschooler, if there is really such a thing). I support progressive political causes (yes, liberals can and do homeschool!) and I have found a spiritual home in the Unitarian Universalist Church. I have no real idea of how I want to use this blog, but will probably focus on homeschooling, things that I am learning from my boys, personal thoughts and opinions and maybe some liberal politics thrown in, who knows!
This entry was posted in Life Without School Blog, Random Homeschool Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Wow, wow, wow. New post on LWOS

1. lanitunes says:

“So the next time that the homeschool panic sets in (oh, yes, you know what I am talking about, don’t you?) we need to remember to cut ourselves some slack.”

Amen. It really is a great article. I can’t tell you how many times I have felt inadequate or like that I am out here on my own just “winging” it. It’s nice to know I’m not alone!

2. MajaBee says:

WOW. a late night plea with a ripple effect. I love the positive feedback I got (despite the profanities… yikes) and am grateful that other moms have opened up about their own struggles. I guess now and then we DO need that reminder that we created that super mom (not just in homeschooling, in everything we do!) in our heads.

3. h says:

Great post, thanks for finding that!

I sometimes wonder if blogs aren’t more often written by moms with slightly older kids, or easier kids, or by moms with more support, or whatever. My younger child just turned 2, and I cannot get ANYTHING done, homeschooling or otherwise. Many days the best I can do is let everything go and concentrate on not losing it, on being kind to the kids in spite of the tantrums, missed naps, the older one’s bickering, and the fact that they eat like hobbits (breakfast, 2nd breakfast, brunch, elevenses…).

I rarely read blog posts that look like my life, so I really appreciated Missy’s post.

4. LOL! I think that it may also be the fact that after a really hard day, you are so exhausted (mentally and physically) that you just don’t have time or energy to blog. You just want to put that day/time behind you and forget about it!

~Steph

5. Andrea says:

H needs to come read my regular blog. :) Although I must say those doubts are eased when the first child grows up and gets into college.

I still have them occasionally, I just don’t write about it much anymore. (not enough time, what with feeding the hobbits and all…)

6. Maura says:

Wonderful post… It is easy to fall into the trap of trying to be the incredible super homeschool mom. But LOL, like “h” I often end just trying to make it through the day without throwing my own little temper tantrum!

Thanks for a great post!

7. Paula says:

I feel so much better knowing that others feel inadequate at times. I must say, I stay awake a lot of nights scared that I’m just not the hs type of mom, even though I really prefer to do it. I picture the super moms with a picture perfect house and everything being so planned, so scheduled. So thanks to the mom that posted her late night fears. I now know that I am not alone in the middle of the night. Just being part of VAECHS has helped me sleep much better in the last week :0)

8. Kim c says:

Yup, I agree. It is nice to hear about the blunders and bad days of others sometimes because it feels so good to offer them support and to get it in return when you have that day, instead of hearing “send ‘em to school!” like you get if you call your mother-in-law during a weak moment. I sometimes feel like I use my blog almost exclusively to whinge about the doubts and hardly ever glow about the fun,awesome stuff.